NonVerbal Communication with Lindsey Day
Communication has and always will be an important skill for young professionals; however, when we practice communication, we generally focus solely on speaking ability. Experts estimate that 94% of the meaning we derive from communication comes from our non-verbal communication yet we rarely study or practice this skill.
Come to this month’s MHYP education event and career coach Lindsey Day will teach you strategies to:
- Assess your current non-verbal communication patterns
- Improve your ability to connect with professional colleagues
- Minimize miscommunication between “what you say” and “how you say it”
If you are a looking to close more sales, land more job offers or simply be more comfortable at networking events, this education is for you.
University of Denver
University Hall Room 306 | DU Map
11:30am-Noon: Registration, networking and lunch
12:45pm-1:00pm: Q&A, networking
About Lindsey Day
Lindsey is a career coach who has helped thousands of clients across the country find jobs they love. Lindsey focuses on solving the talent connection problem by training job seekers to regain power in their career search, think like the employer, and project a positive, confident self-image to land their next great job.
MHYP's Table of Ten Series recently featured Andrea Constantine, an author of numerous books on community and connecting people (more information is available at http://andreacostantine.com/andrea-costantine-resources).
We had a deep conversation on treating others as humans, no matter what they look like or their life circumstances, what would we like to change about the world, and the importance of connecting and conversing with strangers.
Some of the key takeaways were:
·Make a point to look everyone in the eye and smile to people that you normally wouldn’t, such as the person checking you out at the grocery store, or the homeless. You have the power to change their day and make them happier, and the ripple effect can be endless.
·Everyone must feel like they belong to their community, without a sense of belonging things like crime, substance abuse, dropout rates and other senseless activities climb.
·Everyone in the community matters, so treat them that way. The more connected a community is the more happy it can be.
It was a powerful lunch, but if you missed it be ready to register next month to have lunch with John Levisay, more information is available at http://milehighyp.com/events/details/june-table-of-ten-2013.
New Member Benefits starting in 2013!
Mile High Young Professionals (MHYP) offers a comprehensive membership for young professionals in Denver including 5 points of service and over 40 yearly events.
5 Points of Service:
- Networking (12 event series) – The MHYP Monthly Socials are uniquely crafted to attract the most engaged and connected YP leaders in Denver. Our members are serious about business and intentional about making the most of the evening. The fun and drinks come naturally!
- Education (10 event series) – The MHYP Education Series is a direct response to the needs of our members. We poll our members for topics and find highly qualified . It’s another great opportunity for our members to network as well.
- Access (10 event series) – New for 2013, the MHYP Access Series gets you in a room or at a table with some of the top current and inspirational leaders in Denver. These are the people and venues that you said you wanted access to and that deserve your attention. Space is limited so be sure to jump on these opportunities!
- Sports (4 event series plus intramurals) – The MHYP Sports Series offers pro sport outings, intramural YP teams, and intramural parties, so we have the hardcore or recreational athlete and fan covered. Join a team right off the bat or come watch a game to see what we are all about.
- Philanthropy (4 event series) – Our community would not be what it is without volunteers. Here is your chance to get directly involved and help create a better Denver.
Mile High Young Professionals Membership is open to all professionals in the Denver Metro area. While we have no official distinction to qualify as a YP, the general concensus is ages 21-39. Are you over 40? Don't worry, our social events are open to all age groups so come and network with the best young talent in Denver!
- Opportunity to participate in a network of like-minded young professionals
- Free Access to 12 yearly networking events ($120 value)
- Education and Professional Development
- Attendance at "Table of Ten" access events
- Participation on YP Intramural Sports Teams
- Community Involvement and Volunteer Opportunities
- Profile and contact information in the MHYP Membership Directory
- Weekly Member emails with special acess, discounts and giveaways
- Opportunity to apply to serve on an MHYP Committee
- Member to Member (M2M) Discounts
- Opportunity to Host Member to Member (M2M) Specialty Events
- Opportunity to post events to the community calendar
- Discounted access to Annual Rocky Mountain YP Summit
- Discounted membership to the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce
Our basic membership is $50 / year and is renewable on the 1-year anniversary of your registration. You may discontinue your membership at any time.
Become a Member
Are you ready to start enjoying the benefits of membership? Join now to get involved!